The heavy trucking industry requires rugged and durable custom metal solutions that enable trucks to weather harsh environments over large distances and long periods of time.
Over-the-road trucks experience a variety of conditions, from the day-to-day vibrations of operation to caustic temperature and climate extremes. Precipitation, steep hills, and stop-and-go traffic all make having high-quality frames and structures essential to delivering payloads intact and on time.
Environmental factors and operational hazards can also harm components within the truck, making guards and metal fixtures a must for maintaining equipment over the long haul. Protecting all the manner of large vehicles, whether they’re buses, big rigs, trailer trucks, tractor trailers, or semis, is essential to maintaining a well-running transportation and shipping service.
Metal Solutions for Heavy Trucking
Metalex offers a range of heavy-duty metal products to improve the lives of those in the trucking industry. These products include:
- Grill guards: Over-the-road work trucks encounter a large amount of dust, debris, and rough weather, and the truck grill gets the brunt of it. A metal grill guard can both enhance the structural integrity of your truck’s grill while also providing the first line of defense against road debris and other particulates.
- Filtration: Having good metal filtration components results in superior filtration systems for both liquid and air. Metalex filtration components allow you to specify desired pore sizes according to the amount of necessary hydraulic fluids, fuel, and outside air that will pass through your filters. Even as fluids pass through filters and exert pressure on their components, Metalex’s array of expanded and perforated metals can handle whatever the elements throw at it.
- Exhaust guards: Maintaining a good airflow is essential to crafting custom metal exhaust guards. Our range of pattern designs offer unparalleled options when you’re seeking to cool interior systems while preventing overheating or safety concerns.
- Truck steps: Functional, slip-resistant surfaces make moving between truck interiors and exteriors safer during adverse weather conditions. Side steps and running boards made with lightweight grating can also provide load-bearing support and structure as needed.
Having metalwork in areas where workers handle cargo can greatly increase the safety of your employees as well as that of the cargo itself. Truck fixtures must endure everything from salty frozen slush to ultra-hot asphalt, so it’s important to ensure your fleet is decked out with long-lasting, durable materials. Installing slip-resistant steps and other driver-friendly equipment can also reduce the risk of harming goods during loading and unloading.
Perforated Metal for heavy Trucking
The pattern size and strength of perforated metal makes it ideal for exhaust guards, filtration, and grills on large trucks. Combining strong metal frames with perforations that allow airflow and debris to pass through the material makes these fixtures easy to maintain without sacrificing strength.
To learn more about our perforated metal products, download our free eBook, “Proper Selection for Perforated Products.”
Expanded Metal for Heavy Trucking
Creating expanded metal results in less wasted material, meaning that this material provides better cost savings for semi-truck fixtures. The expanded metal production process also results in improved structural strength, helping your truck grills and filters stand up to the elements. Check on the ideal mesh size and pattern for your application, since many sizes and patterns may work for a given product.
Expanded metal products play an important role in many heavy trucking applications, and researching the range of customization options can help you select the best expanded metal product for your needs.
Safety Grating for Heavy Trucking
When constructing steps or safety platforms for your heavy trucking equipment, it’s important to install grating that includes nonslip patterns as well as optimally sized holes that allow natural airflow and debris filtration.
An ideal safety grating will offer maximal slip resistance for its size, and it should also be equipped to bear heavy loads in extreme environments. Most safety grating also includes perforations that allow for easy cleaning and light penetration.
Metalex manufactures four types of safety grating, described below:
Our Open Grip safety grating features 1–3/8” debossed holes and circular gripping buttons. The raised buttons help workers resist slips and slides even after wear occurs over time, and the circular design provides that slip resistance in all directions.
Deck Span consists of extremely lightweight safety grating that retains its ability to stand up to heavy loads while remaining sturdy. A diamond configuration gives omnidirectional slip resistance, and a relief hole at the point of each diamond relieves pressure, preventing stress-related cracking.
Cold-formed perforated buttons characterize this durable safety grating. Its circular tread pattern provides high-adhesive friction that prevents slips and falls. It’s also well known for its long service life, which contributes to the overall cost-effectiveness of this flooring option.
Although we typically manufacture Star Deck in 11-gauge, hot-rolled steel, this safety grating comes in many pattern possibilities as well as custom sizes, gauges, and finishes. The star-shaped holes are perfect for heavy trucking platforms and steps, and truckers value them for their high slip resistance.
Medium- and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
We provide solutions that work with your entire fleet, even if it consists of a variety of different truck types. Our custom metal fixtures come in sizes and materials that enhance your vehicles’ functionality and reliability. Trucks and buses of all kinds require protection for the wide variety of road conditions and climates they face.
We provide metal solutions for Class 5 and Class 6 medium trucks, including:
- Quarter-ton trucks like the Toyota Tacoma or GMC S-15
- Half-ton trucks like the Nissan Titan or the Dodge 1500
- Three-quarter-ton trucks like the GMC 2500 and the Ford F-250
- One-ton trucks like the Ford F-350
No matter the purpose, all medium-duty trucks must meet high safety, security, and functionality standards to achieve expected performance levels.
While we apply many of our products to medium trucks, we specialize in creating accessories for heavy-duty trucks that typically exceed 33,000 lbs. in weight. This includes all of the largest trucks on the road, which can range from 8 to 57 feet in length. As such, all our products come with a wealth of customization options that allow them to fit the truck to which they’re assigned.
Upgrade Your Trucking Fleet with Metalex
Metalex provides innovative metalworking solutions for heavy trucking and transportation equipment. Our experienced engineers and designers can create products to your exact specifications. We’re experts in designing expanded and perforated metal solutions that will meet your needs, and our safety grating products will enhance the safety of your employees and cargo.
To learn more about our capabilities in the heavy trucking and transportation industries, contact us today.