What Is Walkway Grating?
Walkway grating is a common architectural safety feature that is found in places like factories, warehouses, ports, and pedestrian walkways. It is usually a one-piece plank made of steel or other materials and formed into an inverted channel shape. The web of the channel forms the walking surface of the grating and has embossed holes.
Walkway grating is widely used in industrial settings for flooring, catwalks, stair treads, maintenance platforms, wash racks, loading areas, and more to provide team members with a safe, sturdy walking surface.
Benefits of Walkway Gratings
Our walkway gratings are designed to provide a secure path on uneven surfaces. Additionally, they are slip-resistant, which allows them to work well in tricky weather conditions like rain and snow.
These walkway gratings hold up against harsh weather conditions. This makes them extremely durable and safe for outdoor applications. Morton safety grating is self-draining so water, dirt, and debris won’t build up on the surface.
Walkway grating is designed to have aesthetic appeal and blend well with its surroundings. It is easy to maintain and can keep looking like new with minimum care.
Walkway Grating Applications
The main purpose of walkway gratings is to provide an easy pathway for people and workers in an otherwise uneven or difficult-to-reach area. The following are some pertinent applications of walkway gratings:
- Industrial Walkways: Contaminants like grease, oil, and dust can often reduce the friction of walkways in industrial plants and rigs. Installing gratings in those places makes them slip-resistant and safe, reducing the chances of slip and fall accidents.
- Pedestrian Walkways: These are used in places like schools, parks, hospitals, footbridges, etc. They make the walkways safe for regular pedestrians, especially during weather conditions like rain or snow.
- Trench Covers and Sidewalk Grates: Walkway grating is commonly used to cover sidewalk drains and trenches. These protect while allowing proper ventilation.
- Railroad Walking Grating: Train stations and railroads often have grating installed to provide a safe walkway for passengers. Or, on the rail cars themselves, walkway grating runs the length of the car or above the car.
- Stair Treads: Morton Global safety grating can be fabricated to form stair treads. They are usually installed in areas where anti-slip stairway surfaces are necessary.
- Crossover Platforms: Such platforms are very common in industries, especially ones where operators need to move from one heavy machine to another. They are also essential to provide a safe walking path over pipes and equipment.
- Rooftop Walkways: These provide a safe rooftop walkway, especially over pipes and wires.
Morton Global® Safety Grating Products
At Morton Global, we are proud to be recognized as one of the largest manufacturers of perforated, expanded metal, and safety grating products in North America. As an industry leader in this field, our focus lies in providing our customers with best-in-class products and performance. We understand our customer’s unique needs and fabricate products that help them achieve their goals. Our ISO 9001:2015 certification bears testimony to our commitment towards excellence and quality.
Morton offers a range of products when it comes to safety gratings. Available in steel or aluminum, the following products are ideal for walkway grating applications due to their robust anti-slip nature:
- Open Grip® Safety Grating
- Deck Span® Safety Grating
- Tread Grip® Flooring
- Star Deck® Safety Grating
To learn more about our offerings, contact the experts at Morton Global or download this brochure today.